Sunday, February 22, 2009

My guardian angels


These 3 watch over me every night. Cos they hang on a nail above my bed, and they have been doing that for a while.
The crocodile that looks like a turtle is a Ghanaian Adinkra symbol, Denkyem, which is a symbol of adaptability, ability to handle different situations and circumstances in life, as the crocodile who lives in water, yet breathes air. And I feel I have had a lot of opportunities to adapt to new circumstances. A good friend gave me this and she seems to know me well. It's perfect.
The second is an angel, which has the inscription: You are loved. The same friend gave me this too, and it means so much to me. In fact, she gave me another one this Christmas, so she must be extra fond of me! And I of her.
The last is a rosary I "stole" from my fianceè in Ghana. Though I'm not a Catholic, it reminds me of him, of my time in Tema, and it can't be bad to have Jesus watching over you at night, no matter where your religious beliefs lie.

When I moved to Levanger I picked these three trinkets off my wall in my childhood home, and carried them with me here. And now they hang on a tiny nail (prescribed by my landlord), protecting me, loving me and helping me adapt to yet another circumstance in my life so far.

3 comments:

The Author said...

Awwww, so well and warmly written. The turtle/croc rendition was interesting. Will have to look into it! Your 'angels' seem to be doing a good job, no?

by Vero said...

Smask :)

Yngvild said...

thanks Nana Yaw :) The angel is doing a fine job.

Vero: Mwa ;)